This repair has been in the works for about two and a half years. It was stopped variously by lack of knowledge, lack of proper tools, and lack of time, but eventually repairs were completed and the game is fully functional.
When I started working on it, of course the first thing I had to do was replace the original AC plug end with one that hadn’t had its ground pin removed. Old arcade ops seem to have been very bad about removing them. After that, I also had to switch out the fuse block because the original was so corroded and soft, I’m sure it wouldn’t have done its job much longer.
I have been working on a Wizard of Wor machine that wouldn’t start. The only thing I got was a vaguely green screen and a buzzing speaker. I began by removing the socketed chips one at a time and cleaning them with a high quality plastic eraser and a Dremel wire brush when the tarnish was too heavy. After this I sprayed Deoxit into all of the sockets and reseated the chips several times each.
I’ve been doing a lot of work recently getting a Mario Bros. arcade machine back into working shape. Pretty much everything that commonly goes wrong with this game had happened. The monitor’s capacitors were dying, the sound didn’t work, the internals were covered in a thick layer of black dust, the list goes on. Here is a rundown of my efforts.
The most noticeable problem was the washed-out picture, with bars of light across the screen whenever something was drawn. I picked up a capacitor kit from Ian Kellogg to replace them with. The monitor that comes standard on pretty much every Nintendo cab is a Sanyo 20-EZ. It has quite a few caps to replace. It’s probably not strictly necessary to replace them all, but with 30+ year old caps that have rubber seals, it’s definitely a good idea. The cap kit also comes with those necessary to rebuild the sound amplifier.
Something that happens a lot is that people either accidentally or ignorantly remove the grounding pin from their AC plugs. Since a lot of arcades in the 80s probably didn’t have wiring that was up to code, a lot of outlets just had 2 prongs. I’m sure many people didn’t understand the importance of grounding to keep from being shocked or overheating your equipment. I went and got a replacement plug for about $2.
New product alert! I finally had enough time to create a replacement AA battery cover for the fabled Super Nintendo accessory, the Super Scope. If you need a replacement battery cover, it’s available at my eBay store!
I’m always working on new 3D printed replacement parts for game systems and accessories. Let me know what parts you’re still looking for!
Game & Watch Wide Screen battery covers are now available in my eBay store!
If you’re missing the battery cover for your Game & Watch and can’t play, we have new 3D-printed replacement covers waiting for you!
This battery cover is for the classic “Wide Screen” model, which includes Octopus, Fire, Chef, Manhole, and others. Covers for other Game & Watch models are coming soon!
These covers are available in multiple colors, currently including red, yellow, blue, green, white, grey, black, clear, transparent orange, and transparent green. Ask about more colors too!
I’ve been working on these for a while, and they’re almost ready to roll.
I’ll be ready to release my 3D-printed Nintendo 64 Expansion slot covers in a few weeks. I’ll also be working on the bottom EXT. cover soon as well.
I’m also working on modeling more products like the other battery covers and accessories you guys have suggested. Thanks for your input, and keep sending suggestions!